Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Credibly Financial News Roundup for the Week of November 9, 2015


Ben Goldstein

With the world of small business finance changing so quickly, who can stay on top of it all? Here at Credibly, we sift through hundreds of blogs, news alerts, and emerging Fintech trends every day, selecting the most important industry updates so you don’t have to. Here’s the financial news that caught our attention this week.

The Psychology of Logo Color in How Consumers View Your Brand (Infographic) by Larry Kim, Inc
“From Fortune 500 companies to personal brands, it all starts with a logo. Would the Nike brand be as powerful without its signature “Swoosh” logo? What about Apple, with its iconic logo? Size, shape, font, and other design-related details are factors in a great brand design, but color is critical—it even has the potential to affect conversion rate. See, certain colors generate certain feelings; choosing the wrong one can speak to your potential customers in ways you maybe hadn’t intended.”

5 Mistakes Small Businesses Make When Hiring a CPA by Nick Soyturk, AccountingWEB
“Accounting: an organized way to keep track of exchanges. Sounds simple enough, right? As intuitive as it might seem, precise accounting is crucial to the health of your small business. Accurate accounting provides data that you can use to make wise financial decisions, and if your data is inaccurate, your decisions will likely be inaccurate as well.”

16 Marketing Predictions for 2016 From the C-Suite by Kimberly A. Whitler, Forbes
“The next frontier for marketing teams is finding cohesive alignment with their data science counterparts. Although traditionally thought of as two totally different animals―analytical number-crunchers vs. message-obsessed creative types―both groups serve a brand’s goal of deeply understanding the customer persona. In the new world of data-driven content and advertising, data science and marketing must operate as a coordinated unit, with predictive analytics driving targeted communication with consumers. Data is the rocket fuel for marketing’s future.”

New Frontiers — What’s Next for Online Marketplace Lending? by Gavin Harding, Experian
“A bank says yes to small-business borrowers roughly 20 percent of the time based on their lending criteria. What happens to the other 80 percent? Banks don’t want to lose those customers. Partnering with marketplace lenders is one way to retain those customers and create a good user experience.”

6 Lessons I Wish I’d Known Before My Business Failed by Jesse Kramer, Entrepreneur
“It was easy to forget about the difficulties of building my business, Brooklyn Taco Co., when I was catering for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart every month. It was a great achievement to have my favorite celebrity craving my handcrafted tacos. Getting Stewart to laugh at one of my impersonations of a lunch lady was also pretty great. But the feeling of success faded quickly. In February 2015, Brooklyn Taco closed. Immediately, I found myself obsessing over the whys and what-ifs. Five years of experience building a food business taught me unforgettable lessons, but they were taught too late.”

Credibly and the Small Business Association of Michigan Team Up to Support State Businesses (Press Release), Business Wire
“Today, Credibly, a best-in-class Fintech platform that provides access to a broad range of tailored capital solutions to satisfy the entire SMB credit spectrum, announced a partnership with the Small Business Association of Michigan (SBAM), the only statewide association to focus solely on serving the needs of Michigan’s small business community.”

Many Small Businesses Aren’t Prepared for Cyber Attacks by Kerry Leary, 9News.com
“The majority of small businesses are not prepared to combat cyber thieves, according to a new survey conducted by Nationwide insurance. In fact, eight out of 10 small businesses do not have a secure plan in place, which makes them vulnerable to cyber thieves, according to the Denver Business Journal. 9NEWS Cyber Security Expert John Sileo said a lot of small businesses don’t believe they are at as much risk as larger corporations.”


Have you checked out our small business education blog, In.Credibly?

Over at in.credibly.com we’re helping small businesses evaluate their working capital needs, source the right funding, and put those dollars to use more efficiently. This week, our restaurant expert Misty Young laid out the four signs you’re ready to expand your business.